Del Institute of Technology establishes through a Foundation called The Del Foundation. On August 30, 2001, Gen. TNI (Ret.) Luhut B. Pandjaitan, together with Devi Pandjaitan, founded the Del Foundation, which was initially called Simargala Foundation, based on a noble desire to improve the skills and welfare of rural communities in Toba that have not been touched by development. The “Del” means a leader who is always one step ahead.
Initially, The Del Foundation established Del Polytechnic of Informatics (PI Del) in Sitoluama Village, Laguboti. Following scientific and industrial developments, PI Del was upgraded to Del Institute of Technology (IT Del) in 2013, as stated in the Decree of the Ministry of Education and Culture, Directorate General of Higher Education, No. 1220/E.1.3//HK/2013, concerning Submission of a copy of the Decree of the Minister of Education and Culture No. 266/E/0/023.
The spirit of reform inspired the establishment of the IT Del institution to make Indonesia’s future, especially the education sector, better. Del’s alumni are expected to become the agent of change that shapes our nation’s future through services in the field of education, the application of technology, and the application of noble values in social life.
Three characters Del are MarTuhan (Godliness), which is self-dedication to know and love God; MarRoha (Conscious), is a character of self-control that departs from the heart as the centre of consciousness unites reason, feelings, and concrete actions; And MarBisuk (Smart), which means deep insight and wisdom about the relationship between nature, life, and society.
IT Del has the vision to become a centre of excellence that plays a role in the utilization of technology for the advancement of the nation and 4 (four) missions to achieve the vision:
– Organizing and developing a superior, sustainable, and beneficial education process for the community;
– Developing, creating and disseminating knowledge and technology;
– Improving the role of the institute in order to be able to be a reformer of the ability, skills of reference options and development of engineering of community works, especially in the field of science and technology; and
– Increase the fundamental role to the community through the application of the Tri Dharma of Higher Education.
With 20 years of experience, Del Institute of Technology, as an educational institution based on the shores of Lake Toba, has helped and developed the Indonesian people through increasing intelligence in the nation’s life, which is pursued by providing higher education.
IT Del has four faculties and 8 study programs consisting of:
– The Faculty of Informatics and Electrical Engineering with three Undergraduate Study Programs: Informatics, Information Systems and electrical engineering;
– A vocational faculty with a D3 Informatics Technology, a D3 Computer Technology and a D4 Software Engineering Technology;
– The Faculty of Industrial Technology with Engineering Management Undergraduate Study Program; and Biotechnology Faculty with a Bioprocess Engineering Undergraduate Study Program.
Del Institute of Technology, through Del E-Government, produces innovative systems in the development of Electronic-Based Government Systems, such as E-Budgeting, E-Finance and E-Planning. The system has been used in 4 (four) districts around Toba, Tapanuli Utara, Toba , Nias Selatan, and Humbang Hasundutan Regency.
Another innovative product is the startup company Digital Tenun Nusantara (DiTenun), which focuses on the digital transformation and cultural preservation of Ulos Batak. DiTenun produces an application to generate new Indonesian weaving motifs through an Artificial Intelligence approach.
In 2020, IT Del started building Science Techno Park for Herbal and Horticulture Center (STPH2C). STP2HC is an area of research and technological innovation for utilization and development of medicinal plants (Herbal) and Horticulture with international standards, which is built with the concept of Science and Technology Area while considering the elements of forest environmental conservation as part of the Bioeconomics – Food Estate area in Humbang Hasundutan of North Sumatra.
As a Higher Education that prioritizes excellent learning and research institutes, IT Del collaborates with foreign universities and multinational industries such as the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, University of California Davis, University of Nottingham, University of Portsmouth, Mohammed Bin Zayed University of Artificial Intelligence, Huawei, Inalum, Grab.